Winning in a rummy game depends on the art of drawing and discarding the cards. In order to win, every player is required to carefully meld the cards into valid sets and sequences. As players come across unpredictable scenarios while playing Indian rummy game, the challenging task is to make wise decisions according to the situations. Sometimes you discard a card which isn’t adding any value to your gameplay but picked by your opponents, making you regret the decision. Sometimes we are so engrossed into the gameplay that we mistakenly overlook the possibilities of those cards that might bring value to the game and discard them in the search of other valuable cards. The cards you pick or discard both carry equal importance. Rummy professionals know that discarding a card without proper deliberation can lend a winning edge to their opponents, making them face inevitable loss.
Let’s understand which cards to discard while playing online rummy games:
- Discard cards that are least valuable to your opponent: Before discarding a card that is least valuable to you, it is imperative to ensure that the same card is useless to your opponent too. Here your observation skills will come into play. Suppose your opponent has picked up 3 and 5 of hearts from the open deck, it’s crystal clear that they are melding a sequence of hearts. If they have picked up 3 of spades and 3 of clubs, the aim is to form a set of 3s. Considering the first scenario, if you have 4 or 6 of hearts, it’s better to drop the idea of discarding that card as it will eventually contribute to your opponent’s victory. It is important to have attention to detail and good observation skills to understand your opponents’ psychology and what sets and sequences they are aiming to make a valid declaration.
- Know the art of discarding jokers: Jokers are very valuable cards in online rummy games. The multiple jokers you have, the better are your chances of winning. You should be very careful while you discard a joker. They do not carry any value but can be used as a substitute to replace other cards while melding sets and sequences. Once you are done with forming the pure sequence (without using a joker), you can successfully form your second sequence and remaining sets with jokers. They can fill up for the missing cards in your sets and sequence formations. Discarding a joker is like limiting your winning chances and paving the way to success for your opponents. But, as there are unpredictable scenarios and meld possibilities in a rummy card game, you should also know the right time to discard the joker and pick the other valuable card. It is not advised to miss important cards just for the sake of not discarding jokers and lose the game.
- Discard high-value cards carefully: While jokers are an asset in a rummy game, high-value cards are a liability. If your opponent declares before you, your high-value cards add to your penalty points. Discard cards with high points like Ace, Jack, Queen, and King. You can replace these cards with jokers. In case you lose the game, this strategy will reduce your point load. But before discarding high-value cards, you need to ensure if your opponents have high-value cards and looking for the missing one to form melds. If you discard cards without evaluating the situation, you are making it easier for your opponents to win the game. Your one mistake will give your opponents an advantage over you. Therefore, evaluate the entire situation before taking any action.
- Observe your opponent’s discarded cards: To devise effective strategies in a rummy game, players should track the cards discarded by their opponents. With this technique, you will get a better idea about the sets and sequences formed by your opponents and help you to make wise decisions. But if you are playing with multiple players, it becomes difficult to track and remember the cards discarded by each opponent. You should have a strong memory to remember the cards. To power up your memory, you can play practice games where you can practice remembering the cards discarded and picked by your opponents, polish your skills, and improve your gameplay.
- Avoid picking from the discard pile: It is advised to avoid picking from the discard pile as much as possible. It will help your opponents to read your cards, know your meld possibilities, and understand your strategies. Picking the cards from the closed deck will make your opponents unable to read your cards, and you can easily form valid sets and sequences without dropping a hint.
If you aim to win big, you should be cautious of the cards you are discarding and picking, keeping in mind your opponents’ actions. Do a rummy game download to unlock your winning prospects and celebrate your winnings.