Rummy is one of the most popular card games and an integral part of our Indian culture. What makes playing rummy online so much fun is the simple gameplay. Yet, to achieve perennial success, you must learn a few pro rummy tricks.
While you will find various blogs on ‘How to play Rummy?’, we will provide you with the most resourceful, online rummy tips to play like a pro:
Let’s first take a look at the various aspects of the game to make sure that our facts are in place:
Rummy- A Game of Skills
Rummy card games are skill-based games that can be played between 2 to 6 players. Playing rummy requires our brain to plan strategies in order to have a successful run. The ultimate goal is to make a minimum of two sequences, one has to be a pure run (make a pure sequence without a joker) while the other can be arranged into any valid sequences and sets.
- Draw: To pick up a card from either the closed deck or from the discarded pile.
- Discard or Throw: To get rid of those which are no longer useful. Also, the cards discarded by all the players are kept in a separate pile known as the discarded pile.
- Sorting: This is done at the beginning of the game when the dealer distributes the cards. Cards arranged in a particular order such as according to the color, value and use.
- A Meld: It can either be a set or a sequence of 3 or more cards arranged in the order of their value or colour.
- Pure Meld or Pure Run: Any sequence without a joker is called a pure meld or a pure run or a pure sequence.
- Impure Sequence: A sequence which has 1 or more jokers is called an impure sequence.
- Set: A set is a combination of 3 to 4 cards of different suits but of the same value. A joker or a wild joker can be used to complete a set.
- Drop: All the players have the option of leaving or quitting the game in the beginning or even in the middle of the game which is called a drop. The first drop can be made before the gameplay which involves 20 points, the drop made after the first hand is played involves 40 points and all the drops post that can attract a maximum point loss of 80 points.
- Invalid Declaration: If the player declares his or her cards but they are not arranged into valid sets and sequences. Declare will be marked as an invalid declaration and other players will be declared as the winners.
- Fishing & Baiting: One of the rummy tricks in which a player throws cards of a certain value in order to deceive their opponents or compel them to throw the cards they need.
The Role of Joker
There are two types of jokers: a printed joker and a wild joker which is selected randomly at the beginning of the game. These jokers play a vital role in completing your sets and sequences. They can replace any missing card to complete impure sequences and sets.
|High-Value CardsKings, Queens, Jacks and Aces||10 points each|
|NumberCards||Same points as their face value. eg, 5♥ = 5+points|
|Joker/Wild Joker||Zero Points|
Rummy Tips & Tricks:
- Learn to adapt to situations when you play rummy online, you need to remember that sticking to a fixed set of cards and waiting to get one card to fall your way for too long is not a very wise strategy.
- Prioritize your moves to achieve a pure sequence as this is all you need for your hand to be qualified.
- If you learn the tricks of using your joker cards wisely when you play rummy you can easily get a lead in the game.
- Your opponent does not know your ability whether you are a seasoned rummy player or a new player. You can use this to your advantage by playing moves which can confuse your opponent.
- Keep a close eye on your opponents’ picks and discards in order to understand their gameplay.
- Ace cards can be used in two ways. You can either use them with low-value cards to complete a sequence or place the ace above the king to complete another sequence.
- Study the various aspects of the game before you proceed such as the number of players, their expertise levels, the amount at stake and others.
- Discard your cards wisely as the cards which you may no longer need, your opponents may be eagerly waiting for them.
- The most obvious way to make quick money is to put your money where your strength is so if you are confident in your rummy skills then participate in tournaments and high-stake games to win big rewards.
- You can make better sequences with the cards sitting on the fence i.e. the mid-value cards. Such cards can be combined with both low-value or higher-value cards to complete sequences.
Now that you have learnt to play rummy, play rummy like a pro at Adda52Rummy.com.
Download the Rummy App today and start playing!